- Burnables (food scraps, some paper products) - picked up on Mondays and Thursdays
- Group resources (cardboard, clothes, magazines, toilet paper rolls) - picked up the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month
- Plastics - picked up on Tuesdays
- Nonburnables - picked upon the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month
- Cans, bottles and PET bottles - picked up on Fridays
You're probably wondering why you should care about sorting your trash properly. You don't have to, but if you don't, the trash collectors will leave your trash there with a preprinted Yellow Note identifying your trash violation. How do they know if you've gotten it right or not? Everyone is required to use clear (or opaque) trash bags which clearly show what's in the bag - talk about no privacy. Having heard of how strict the Japanese are about trash and living in constant fear of the shame of getting a Yellow Note, I probably checked the pamphlets any time I had to throw something away for the entire first month we lived here.